Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How long is too long to use your infant carrier?

My daughter is 18 months and is pretty tall. She weighs about 23 pounds. My husband forgot to leave me with the car seat and I have to go somewhere. Is it ok to use the infant carrier?|||If your daughter exceeds the limits of the carseat, then it shouldn't be used. The carseat is not strong enough to protect a child bigger than what it was designed for. |||No! Most infant carriers have a weight/height limit. For example, the Graco Snugride limits are about 29 inches in height and 22 pounds in length. Check the manufacturer's website for weight and height limits for your particular model. It's very important you don't put your daughter in a car seat she has outgrown; if you're in an accident, she is not protected!|||I think the longest you could use it is till the baby is about 12m or 20 pounds which ever comes first. I wouldn't risk it. God forbide someone hits you while driving. your daughter could be seriously injuried.





My mom trys to put my 7 year in a car seat and i'll explained to her that she can't go in it anymore because she is 45 pounds andf its weight LIMIT is 40. She is being lazy and just doesn't want to take it out and have to later but it back in for her "other" kids|||It depends on what kind of infant seat you have. My seat was made for children up 30 pounds. (newer larger graco brand) I don't remember the height restriction on it but check the owners manual on your seat and see what it says.|||When you decide whether or not to use a particular seat for your child, you have to take weight, age and height into consideration, because there are limits for each. When you look at the safety guides given to you online, they usually talk about age and weight, but don't take height into account. I found this confusing too. What I discovered is that the car seat manual usually tells you about the height requirement. They'll either tell you how high on the back of the chair that your child's head should reach, or they'll tell you the maximum height that your child should be.





I hope this has helped. My daughter is tall for her age also, and I found this confusing too.





If your daughter isn't within the limits, then it isn't okay to use the seat.





Do you have a neighbor with a similar sized child who might loan you a seat? Or maybe someone with an older child who might have an old one.|||You shouldn't use it past 12 months or 20 lbs, whichever comes first. If your daughter is past that, the car seat isn't safe for her anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment