Sunday, September 18, 2011

How do I get my cat to get in a carrier w/o anxiety so I can take him to the vet?

How do I get my cat to get in a carrier. I haven't been to the vet in 2 years because of what I now declare his "severe anxiety". He is scared of my family sort of except for myself and my brother (I'm 19 and he's like 25 if that matters).





I really need to take him to the vet for worms and mostly vaccinations and other stuff.|||You can get some Bach Rescue Remedy from a health foods store for under $20. You shake the bottle well and put three to four drops on the cat's fur between his ears. Put some on the cat before he needs to go into the carrier - two "doses" about 15 minutes apart. Use a towel in the carrier and put drops on the towel before putting the cat in there.





Take the bottle with you and put some on the cat when the vet takes him out of the carrier. Then again after the vet procedures before he goes in the carrier again to go home.





The fower essences in the remedy are entirely harmless and cannot hurt him in any way. They will help reduce his fears and keep him more relaxed for his vet trip.|||try to rap him in a towel or something|||You can do what I do: open the door, tilt the carrier at a sharp angle, and just dump his butt in there. That's what I do for my cats, and they take it just fine. If he really needs to go to the vet, then this may be your only option if he's being difficult. If he's the squirmy type, have somebody else hold the carrier while you deposit him in. Good luck!|||Both of my cats go to the vet every 3-4 weeks to get their claws trimmed. We also take them regularly for car rides in their carriers because we go to cat shows (not local!) One of my cats doesn't make a noise at all, and loves to be in his carrier and in the car... His younger brother still meows some.|||Use a favorite toy or blanket it may take 2 or 3 times. Don't say cat carrier they know what your saying!!!!!! Some times you have to be a litte ruff with them and they will settle down some.|||Try tricking him, that's how I get mine into a cat carrier. He sees it and runs, fights me tooth and nail to avoid being put in it.|||well, i use the towel trick my self.. but after you come home,, try leaving the carrier open a couple a days a week so he gets used to it around and its kinda normal for him to see..|||Whats has always worked for us, we leave a bed (carrier) out at all times somewhere in the house with a soft blankie.. and a toy, so they have access , they can check it out they can play in it sleep in it..and so far(crossfingers) we rarely get a complaint when we put them in it for a trip to vet... now the car ride thats a different story.LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment