Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I catch my cats and get them in a carrier?

My family has three cats. When they need to go to the vet, the one I raised always walks right into the carrier without any trouble. The one my sister raised is always hard to catch, and the other one she raised becomes a danger to herself and to others.





Today, I need to take one of my sister's cats to the vet, but not the dangerous one. Just the one who always runs away for no reason. He's too smart to be lured by food. Any thoughts?|||Fortunately, I no longer have to notify the Red Cross on standby for blood transfusions, but I know what it means when a cat is reluctant to go to the V E T.





I have multiple cats, so that can be even more tricky, as they get agitated. And, I am able to have the carriers out at all times, so they don't get tipped off.





I start by closing off some rooms that provide hiding areas. The kitchen is a prime one, as she gets into a cabinet out of reach. She is often under the bed, so I have to take a long pole and push her out from under the bed, and she runs downstairs, expecting to hide in the cabinet. So as soon as she is out of the room, I close the door. Often, several cats are in the bedroom, so they are out of the picture.





Then, she is downstairs trying to hide, and the chase in on. Yes, I have to move some furniture pieces to get at her, and as she is now older, after awhile, she sort of gives up, making me go on a guilt trip.





I pick her up, and it is back feet first into the carrier. Then, while she is usually mute, I am serenaded by her howling all the way to the V E T.





Hopefully, you won't have the other cats rooting her on while she is trying to avoid being put into the carrier.|||place the cat into the carrier rear first.





from now on start feeding ALL CATS inside the carrier.





corner the cat in the bathroom (easiest room to catch them in)|||My favorite way is always with a large blanket or towel. It's easier to heard them, and safer when you catch them.|||The blanket approach, or wear a jacket and winter gloves to protect from getting a scratch|||Set the carrier up with the door to it open. Then take a pillowcase and quickly engulf the cat in that, carry it over to the carrier and put the cat and the pillowcase inside the carrier. By the time the cat gets out of the case you'll have the door closed and the cat contained.

No comments:

Post a Comment