Sunday, September 18, 2011

How much time in the baby carrier is too much?

My 7 week old is slowly getting used to spending time in the BabyBjorn carrier. She'll even fall asleep in it now. Is it okay for a baby to spend hours in the carrier as long as she will tolerate it?|||oh my gosh: no such thing as too much time! as long as you can do it! the bjorn was ruby's favorite place until last month when she got too big. now i use a beco, and we both love it. she will tolerate the stroller when she is in the mood, but she will stay on me in the beco for hours -- hungry, tired, whatever. she doesn't care as long as she is strapped on. she falls asleep in it (though i try not to do full naps there as she is 11 months old; at 7 weeks, it's fine). i feed her bottles in it when we are out. baby wearing is so good for the baby -- and for you. HOWEVER, once your baby is 3-4 months old, you do want to get her used to napping in a bed, crib, or bassinet. "moving" sleep (car, carrier, swing) is not as regenerative as still sleep and should be avoided afgter those ages. beyond that, though, there really isn't "too much" time. and at 7 weeks, the more, the better.|||perfectly fine. research attachment parenting. babies love being with their mama as much as possible. it's much better than baby being in a crib or swing for that amount of time.|||Yep, it's okay for your daughter to stay in the carrier for as long as you %26amp; she can tolerate it.|||As a parent myself, I have to say I think this is a really good thing that you are trying to do. That carrier will keep the baby with you at all times and strengthen a bond that will lead to a better relationship later on. One thing I would suggest... get Dad to wear it as often as possible too!|||Make sure she has ample of floor time and tummy time so she can practice rolling, batting, etc. as well as time being close to mommy.|||It depends on what kind of baby carrier you have. It is really important for a baby's development to be held a lot especially for the first three months. However, I have heard some negative about Bjorn and other carriers that keep the baby upright. There is some concern that it puts too much pressure on the spine since they aren't able sit up yet, all their weight pushes down on the bottom of their spine and could possibly cause back problems later. This hasn't been confirmed yet, which is why carriers like that are still on the market (I used a Bjorn as well because I didn't know). As soon as I found this out I switched to Moby wrap. I bought it from www.babiesinchico.com and I wore my baby in it almost all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment